Victoria Rae | Solicitor

Can You Pursue an Uninsured Driver?

Being an identical twin has its perks (I speak from personal experience) but one of those is definitely not sharing car insurance.

The media recently reported an identical twin had appeared in court, charged with giving police her twin sister’s details when she was stopped for driving without insurance. This was only discovered when her twin sister was subsequently summoned to attend court. It is alleged she didn’t realise her sister’s/their insurance policy had ran out (identical sisters, non-identical insurance liability).

Surprisingly, whilst driving without insurance is an offence, it is estimated there are approximately one million uninsured drivers in the UK.

Having car insurance is essential and a legal requirement under the Road Traffic Act 1988, because it covers the policy holder’s expenses in the event of vehicle damage or injury to others.

So what happens if you are involved in an accident with an uninsured driver?

It might not be obvious when an accident first happens that the other driver involved is uninsured. If you have any suspicions for whatever reason that the other driver is uninsured, or the other driver refuses to give insurance details, you should report this to the police as soon as possible.

After reporting an accident to your insurance company, they will be able to advise if the other driver involved is uninsured. If this is the case and you have comprehensive cover, it would be advisable to claim for any vehicle damage from your insurer. This will ensure the vehicle is fixed as soon as possible.

However, there is an alternative that anyone can choose to use if they want to claim for damage or injury caused by an uninsured driver – The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

Who are the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB)?

The MIB is a not-for-profit body, which compensate for property damage and personal injury in the event of an accident with an uninsured or ‘hit and run’ driver. To submit a claim to the MIB, the innocent party must be legally insured; whether it’s comprehensive or just third party cover.
Recent figures released by MIB show that:

  1. they settle approximately 25,000 claims a year involving uninsured or ‘hit and run drivers’;
  2. every three days someone is involved in an accident with an uninsured or ‘hit and run’ driver, which will ultimately lead to a fatality; and
  3. in just over 12% of road traffic accidents reported to the police where someone is injured (17,122), a ‘hit and run’ driver is involved.

There is concern the number of uninsured drivers in the UK is going to rise, due to the discount rate change causing insurance premiums to increase.

If you have been involved in an accident with an uninsured driver Jackson Boyd can fully advise you on the prospects of pursuing a successful claim. Please contact us online by clicking here or speak to a member of our specialist team on 0333 222 1855.

Victoria Rae

Victoria Rae

Personal Injury Team | Connect with Victoria

I enjoy building a rapport with my clients and helping them through the litigation process, which I appreciate can often be a daunting experience.

Contact us Share this page

Request a free call back

Our specialist lawyers will call you back at your preferred time to discuss your situation and explain how we can help.

Request Call Back

What our clients say about us

Read more