You will be charged with speeding if you have been caught driving over the prescribed speed limit on a road. You will normally be caught speeding by either by a speed camera or by a police officer. If you get caught speeding by a speed camera the owner of the vehicle will be sent a Notice of Intended Prosecution commonly known as a NIP and will be sent a Section 172 Notice, this would normally be required to be served within 14 days of the offence. A section 172 notice is a requirement of the registered keeper to notify the police of who was driving the vehicle at the time at which the alleged offence took place.

Any offence of speeding could also be aggravated depending on the circumstances of when and where the speeding offence took place.

If you are caught speeding, a court could impose a discretionary disqualification but commonly issue 3 to 6 penalty points and a maximum fine of £2,500.

We can help you by defending any criminal charges you face.  This would include investigating if any defences exist and representing you in court.  We can also try to maintain your license even in the face of a potential totting up disqualification if you have 12 penalty points on your license.

Contact Jackson Boyd’s Personal Injury Lawyers in Glasgow & Edinburgh

To discuss your claim with us, contact Jackson Boyd today. You are always guaranteed to speak to someone with knowledge and understanding of what you are going through, and someone with experience of dealing with cases just like yours.

For a free consultation, please call us on 0333 222 1855 or contact us online.

We look forward to helping you get more than just compensation.

Contact us Share this page

Request a free call back

Our specialist lawyers will call you back at your preferred time to discuss your situation and explain how we can help.

Request Call Back

What our clients say about us

Read more