Ailie King | Paralegal

A Guide to Personal Injury Claims – What can I claim for?

3. Personal Effects

You can make a claim for your personal belongings that have been damaged in an accident.  Below is a list of some items that can be included within your claim:

  • Damaged Clothing
  • Damaged Footwear
  • Damaged Spectacles or Sunglasses
  • Mobile phones
  • Damaged Watches or Jewellery

To make a successful claim for your damaged personal effects, you will be required to provide evidence that you owned these belongings.  A receipt or an invoice for each item, together with a photograph showing the damage to the item would be sufficient.  If you are unable to provide proof of purchase for the item, an estimate to replace the item would be required.    If you are claiming for an older item, there would likely be a reduction made to the cost  to account for wear and tear.

The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) advices that if a child car seat has been involved in an accident then it should be replaced, even if there is no visible signs of damage.  Normally your insurance company would consider these costs as part of your vehicle damage claim.   If you do not receive payment from your insurance company, then we can include the cost of replacing a car seat as part of your claim.

If you are a Cyclist or a Motorcyclist involved in an accident, then it is likely that you will require to make a claim for your damaged Protective Equipment.    Even if the accident is minor, the internal structure of a helmet can become damaged and may require to be replaced.  Items such as gloves and goggles may also require replacement.   You can make a claim for your damaged Bicycle or Motorcycle, if these costs are not covered by your insurance policy.  If you wish to make a claim for these costs, you would be required to provide two estimates for the repair costs.  Depending on the level of damage and the costs involved, they may require inspection from an engineer before any  costs could be agreed.

If you have been involved in an accident, even if it was minor accident then our Specialist Personal Injury team at Jackson Boyd are here to help you.  Please get in touch today.

Ailie King

Ailie King

Personal Injury Team

Contact us Share this page

Request a free call back

Our specialist lawyers will call you back at your preferred time to discuss your situation and explain how we can help.

Request Call Back

What our clients say about us

Read more