The Queen’s Speech comes following a General Election whose outcome was not predicted by most. While we have a period of political uncertainty, it is unsurprising that the majority of the legislative programme relates to Brexit.
A number of other bills have, however, caught our eye: –
- The Automated and Electric Vehicles Bill will extend compulsory motor vehicle insurance to cover the use of automated vehicles and ensure that personal injury and compensation claims continue to be paid quickly, efficiently and easily in accordance with long-standing practice.
- As we look forward to our holidays, The Travel Protection Bill will update the U.K.’s financial protection scheme for holidays and update the package tour regulations to take account of people booking holidays on the Internet.
- The Civil Liability Bill will make significant changes to the handling of personal injury claims and whiplash claims in England and Wales.
- The Data Protection Bill will give people new rights to require major social media platforms to delete information held about them at the age of 18.
- The Patient Protection Bill is intended to improve the NHS investigation of mistakes to ensure that lessons are learned by establishing an investigation body in England and Wales.
- And we confess that we are excited by the Space Industry Bill creating a regulatory framework for commercial spaceflight! A case of (Theresa) May the force be with you?