Kalyani Uthaman was a 59 year-old lady from India who was on holiday in Scotland during August 2012. Unfortunately her holiday took a tragic turn when attending a Premier Inn Hotel in Newcraighall.
Mrs Uthaman attempted to have a shower at the hotel. However the particular shower that Mrs Uthaman was using did not benefit from protection of a thermostatic mixing valve. Unfortunately the lack of this valve would result in Mrs Uthaman being badly scalded. Despite being rushed to hospital Mrs Uthaman did not recover from her injuries and suffered multiple organ failure in the weeks after the incident.
After a long battle with the hotel owners Whitbread Mrs Uthaman’s family have eventually received an apology and compensation.
The family have specifically commented that such progress was not possible until they involved solicitors and raised a court action.
Regardless of how tragic an accident may be it does seem to be the case that public liability and employers liability insurers will attempt to avoid issuing compensation wherever possible. This particular case highlights the real advantage to individuals of involving a firm of solicitors to help pursue their claims and ensure that injured individuals and their families are adequately compensated for the wrong.
At Jackson Boyd we have significant experience in dealing with public liability accidents such as the tragic case of Mrs Uthaman and would thoroughly recommend where you have been unfortunate enough to have been involved in an accident that you contact us to assist you to pursue your claim and obtain compensation that you may be entitled to.
If you require any advice or assistance please contact us online by clicking here or speak to a member of our specialist team on 0333 222 1855.